Monday, December 23, 2013

Mean Green Fiber Machine

I wanted the first post for my recipe section to be a smoothie that we've been making on a daily basis. I know the name is pretty out there but that's how I feel about this smoothie. I know many people think you need to take alot of those gimmicky pills and crazy diet plans to lose weight but really, you just need to eat right and exercise and your body will do the rest. On most days, I usually have one of these smoothies for lunch with a Luna bar and I'll be good until we have dinner. It's a great healthy meal replacement and it's pretty all natural. I don't like putting in any of those meal replacement powders or protein powders. All I add are some green veggies and frozen fruits. Right now we are using a Nutri-Bullet to make our smoothies. We weren't really sure how serious we were going to get with this so we didn't feel like it would be great to spend like $400 on a Vitamix so we bought the Nutri-Bullet instead. We got ours for $80 from Bed, Bath and Beyond, original price was $100 and we had a 20% off coupon for it. Okay, so for the recipe. Mean Green Fiber Machine: 1/2 cup of kale handful of frozen mangos or fresh if you have handful of frozen pineapple or fresh if you have 1/2 of an orange 1/8 cup of flax seeds Water till the "Max" line (or you can add juice) Depending on how you like your smoothie, you can vary the type of fruits/veggies that you like but for this recipe, we like to add these. Usually we keep with the kale, mangoes, pineapple and flax seeds. Depending on what we have at the time, we will usually switch out the orange with either apples, strawberries, blueberries, bananas. I usually try to add 3 different types of fruits because I think kale has a really strong flavor and the fruits mask it really well. I always add flax seed. It's very high in antioxident which is great for your skin and also for losing weight. Also, you can vary with the type of liquid that you add. If we have some kind of juice like orange or apple, we will add it instead of water but usually water is good to add. You can vary on how much water you add depending on how thick you want the consistency of the smoothie to be. I like mine more watery so I feel like I'm drinking it rather than it being thicker and I feel like I'm eating it. If it's warm outside, I'll add some ice to it or add less water if I have some frozen fruit so I has like a froyo consistency but usually I like mine more watery. That's basically it. You can always substitute the kale for other veggies, I just suggest you keep it within the same leafy green family. When we can't get kale, we usually use baby spinach and it works the same. Add this and a luna bar of your choice (I really like the Chocolate Peppermint Stick or Blueberry Bliss or Lemon Zest) and I have a really filling lunch. This can probably hold me down until dinner time. Sometimes I might get hungry and I'll grab some fruits or some crackers or another luna bar and I'm usually great. Let me know if you guys do any types of smoothie and share your recipes with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment